I'm Justin Modray, the founder of www.candidmoney.com. A totally independent, free and impartial financial website.
The aim of this site is to arm you with sufficient knowledge and confidence to help you better look after your finances and avoid falling foul of unscrupulous
financial providers and advisers. Among the features I hope you'll find useful are:
- Clear and concise explanations of the financial topics most likely to matter to you.
- The opportunity to ask me questions on your finances and receive a personalised answer, for free!*
- Impartial, no-nonsense reviews of many financial services products and services, from both myself and other users.
- Over 80 useful financial calculators to help you with numerous tasks, ranging from school fees planning to managing your debts and checking investment costs.
- Tests, both beginner and advanced, to see just how good your financial knowledge is.
- Comment to keep you up to date on important financial news and issues.
If you have any feedback and constructive comments, I'd love to hear them - just
click here. As well as helping me improve the site day to day, your feedback can help shape it in future so that it's as useful as I can possibly make it.
Enjoy the site and I hope it helps you make more of your money. I look forward to answering your financial questions via the 'Ask
Justin' section and reading your reviews.
P.S. If you like the site, please recommend it to your friends and colleagues!
* While I try to answer as many questions as I can, I can't guarantee an answer as sometimes there's simply not enough hours in the day. This site is not are authorised or regulated
by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), so I'm not allowed to provide specific financial advice.
Why did I set up this site?
It started back in 2009 when, having worked in financial services for over 12 years, I was totally fed with the extent that some providers and advisers would try to hoodwink their customers in pursuit
of a fat profit. Worse still, a lot of customers appeared to fall for it!
I therfore decided to build this site to share the financial knowledge and experience I've built up over the years, in the hope it will help readers make better choices with their money and avoid the
How is the site funded?
Well, it's largely a labour of love. I built the site myself and have no staff, which has helped minimise costs. However, there are some overheads and I can't afford to work on Candid Money for free
indefinitely, so I need to generate some revenue to help keep the site going.
There is a small amount of advertising (which doesn't inflience my views or independence) and I also run the Compare Fund
Platforms website (part of Candid Money) which receives some pay per click revenue.
Do I have interests in any other companies?
Yes. In October 2013 I launched the low cost independent adviser Candid Financial Advice. This is a separate business (which I own jointly with an old friend Ian Millward), but run with the same values and ethos as Candid Money.
What's my background?
I've spent much of my time since the mid 1990's working as an Independent Financial Adviser, firstly for Chase de Vere Investments, then Bestinvest and now as the founder of Candid Financial Advice. Along
the way I've provided expert financial comment for the press, resulting in my comments being featured in thousands of newspaper articles and a few hundred radio and TV appearances. I'm certainly not
attracted to the limelight, but the thought of getting a message across to a wider audience, helping people avoid being ripped off by some financial companies and advisers, spurs me on. I also hate
not knowing the answer to something, which helped me build up a decent knowledge bank - useful for journalists to tap into.
Prior to all that I worked in TV commercial production for a few years, after graduating from the London School of Economics with an Economics degree.