Other Candid sites

Candid Financial Advice
Financial advice for a fraction of the usual cost.

Compare Fund Platforms
The UK's only fund platform comparison site for private investors.

Calculator over 80 Calculators!

Covering almost all your money needs - use them.

Investment Bond Top Slice

Calculator When you surrender an investment bond, or it matures, you may have to pay tax. Use this calculator to estimate how much, if any, tax you might have to pay.

Random Jargon

Ordinary Income Shares Investment Trusts

The part of a split capital investment trust that usually receives some, or all, of a trust's income and has an entitlement to the trusts's capital after the other share classes have taken their share.

Ask Justin

Ask Justin

| Printable version | A A A |

Equity release on shared ownership property?

Borrowing | Mortgage Helpful? 10

Asked by naprop, submitted 26 September 2012.

Open Quote Can you get equity release on a shared ownership property where you own 50% and the housing association own 50%?End Quote

Answered by Justin on 26 September 2012

No, I'm afraid equity release schemes require you to own 100% of the property. If you need to raise cash you may be able to mortgage/re-mortgage your 50% share in the property. However, lenders are far more cautious than they used to be, so even this might be tough unless you have a reasonable amount of equity in the property.

Please note this answer does not constitute a recommendation or financial advice and should not be relied upon when making specific investment or other financial decisions. You should always undertake your own research into whether a product or service is appropriate for your needs and, if necessary, use a qualified professional adviser.

If you found this answer helpful, please add your vote by clicking here.

Readers' Comments (0) - To post a comment please register or login .