Other Candid sites

Candid Financial Advice
Financial advice for a fraction of the usual cost.

Compare Fund Platforms
The UK's only fund platform comparison site for private investors.

Calculator over 80 Calculators!

Covering almost all your money needs - use them.

Mortgage Switch

Calculator Switching to a better mortgage rate could save you money. But, how much better off will you be, if at all, after paying any exit penalities and other fees? Find out here.

Random Jargon

SWIFT Payment Current Accounts

A direct payment from a bank account to an overseas acount using the Society for World-wide Interbank Financial Telecommunications service. Can take up to six days or more to clear.

Ask Justin

Ask Justin

| Printable version | A A A |

Could stop loss sell at a lower price?

Investment | Shares Helpful? 3

Asked by winger14, submitted 09 August 2012.

Open Quote if there was a crash in the stock market, is it possible that the sale of my shares triggered by stop loss limits that I have set as a safeguard, could be delayed by the amount of people trying to sell at the same time and the shares could end up being sold at a much lower price?End Quote

Answered by Justin on 03 September 2012

Yes. A stop loss means the broker will sell your shares if they hit a 'trigger' price that you've specified. However, if the price is falling more quickly than the stockbroker can deal your shares may end up selling below the trigger price, i.e. there's no guarantee of the price you'll get.

The alternative is to use a limit order, which means the broker will only sell if they can get your specified price. However, this risks the shares not being sold at all if the broker is unable to sell at the trigger price - possible in a fast falling market.

Please note this answer does not constitute a recommendation or financial advice and should not be relied upon when making specific investment or other financial decisions. You should always undertake your own research into whether a product or service is appropriate for your needs and, if necessary, use a qualified professional adviser.

If you found this answer helpful, please add your vote by clicking here.

Readers' Comments (0) - To post a comment please register or login .