Other Candid sites

Candid Financial Advice
Financial advice for a fraction of the usual cost.

Compare Fund Platforms
The UK's only fund platform comparison site for private investors.

Calculator over 80 Calculators!

Covering almost all your money needs - use them.

GIB Equivalent Gross Rate

Calculator Because Guaranteed Income Bond rates are quoted net of basic rate tax, a quick comparison to savings account gross rates isn't immediately obvious. This calculator makes the comparison easy.

Random Jargon

Call Option Protected

Gives the right to buy an investment at a certain price in future.

Ask Justin

Ask Justin

| Printable version | A A A |

Credit card refund for item not delivered?

Borrowing | Credit Card Helpful? 7

Asked by homebody1, submitted 05 June 2010.

Open Quote In the later part of April I ordered a desk, from an online supplier, paying with Barclaycard. Early in May I was advised that they were unable to deliver as it had been damaged in transit, and further supplies would not be available for some weeks.

They offered to refund the money, £128.08, and I accepted. However, in spite of my subsequent reminders, no credit has yet shown on my account.

How do you recommend I proceed, and is there an organisation that deals with this type of problem on the Internet?
End Quote

Answered by Justin on 07 June 2010

The good news is that because you paid by credit card and the purchase was a single item over £100 then Barclaycard should refund the money to your account.

Under section 75 of the 1974 Consumer Credit Act the credit card company is equally liable with the retailer for your purchase (even if only part of the purchase price was made on your card), provided it’s between £100 - £30,000 with a minimum £100 per item.

If you call Barclaycard and explain the situation they should resolve the matter, although they may require you to first complete a claim form.

If Barclaycard declines your claim, which seems unlikely, then submit a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service who will review the decision.

Good luck, but I doubt you’ll need it – this should be a simple claim.

Please note this answer does not constitute a recommendation or financial advice and should not be relied upon when making specific investment or other financial decisions. You should always undertake your own research into whether a product or service is appropriate for your needs and, if necessary, use a qualified professional adviser.

If you found this answer helpful, please add your vote by clicking here.

Readers' Comments (2) - To post a comment please register or login .

Comment by homebody1 at 10:19am on 11 Jul 2010:

Homebody here.
Following your advice I got in touch with Barclaycard, who sent me a straightforward form to complete. I returned it, together with copies of e-mails supporting my claim, and a few days later the £128.08 was removed from my account. I also received a letter explaining that, if they found my claim was false, the money would be put back on my account, which is fair enough.
Since then I have heard nothing, so am not certain that everything has been settled.
Many thanks for your help.

Comment by justin at 11:00am on 12 Jul 2010:

Hi, sounds as though everything is fine, if the retailer argued the claim you probably would have heard back from Barclaycard by now. Nevertheless, if you want to put your mind at ease it wouldn't hurt to call Barclaycard and double check that the matter is now closed.